I’ve been tagged by Wendy James to take part in the Next Big Thing blog meme in which authors answer the same ten questions on their next or current work. So here goes!
1/What is the working title of your next/current project?
The Romance Diaries: Ruby
2) Where did the idea come from for the project?
It’s inspired by Jane Austen’s Emma.
3) What genre does your book fall under?
4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
Abigail Breslin for Ruby, Callan McAuliffe for Will, ,Jordin Sparks for Bella, Emma Watson for Jo-and that’s just for starters!
5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Ruby thinks she’s got it all figured out when it comes to other people’s romantic blind spots, and she’s determined to prove it, but all these strange things keep happening–maybe she’s not quite the love expert she thinks she is?
6) In what formats are your book?
In both paperback and e-book.
7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
About two months.
8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre:
Meg Cabot’s books, Louise Rennison’s books–romantic comedies generally!
9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Jane Austen’s wonderful Emma–and also thinking about why people make mistakes in romance! Plus there’s lots of other literary and pop culture references, everything from Jane Austen and Jane Eyre to Cyrano de Bergerac, The Princess Bride, and the Twilight books!
10) What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?
Ruby’s a fantastic character, and she also has a unique way of using language–there’s even a ‘Decoding Ruby Talk’ at the end of the book. Plus, it’s the first in a series: next one, The Romance Diaries: Stella, is based on Pride and Prejudice, another fantastic and witty love story!